Your desire to lose weight is doubtless very challenging. It is more frustrating when you find yourself tangled among several ways that claim to help.
Do you know when it gets worse? Youve already tried various things, but none has helped.
It is more nerve-wracking for some of you who are incapable of doing heavy workouts that could help. Thus, you are still in search of something convenient for you.
I can tell this since Ive been there and done that. For a long time, every day, I looked at myself in the mirror and decided to make a move. I thought I did enough by exercising, but my diet, thats where I lacked.
So here is what I found result-oriented. A healthy meal plan for keto diet that helped me lose weight and ultimately become confident enough to share this with you.
Trust me; it is coming from the one who has tried. Keto diet plan is, actually, one of the most convenient ways to lose weight.
Now that you know, theres a solution to your problem, lets be clear about the term called Keto Diet.
What is Keto Diet?
Keto Diet involves the inclusion of high fat and minimal carbohydrate along with an adequate amount of protein in the food.
It works wonders after the reduction of the primary source of energy, carbs going in your body. It makes the body depend upon the fats consumed for energy.
The process of using fat as the source of energy due to lack of sufficient carbs in the body is called ketosis.
Simply, the keto diet helps the body turn the fats into ketones in the liver. Ketones are the particles formed in the liver from fat when there is less availability of insulin.
The body then receives the energy formed by burning ketones. This process of burning fats is how the keto diet supports weight loss. It does not let fats make a home in the body.
Remember the key; keto diet, means as little carbohydrate as you can, enough protein, and a high level of fat to your tummy. People who follow the keto diet consume around 20 grams to 50 grams of carbohydrate per day.
Classification of Keto Diet
- Standard Ketogenic Diet (SKD): If you are following this diet plan, the first thing you need to do is limit your carb intake to at most 50 grams a day. You are allowed to eat around 90 grams of protein in a day, and your fat intake can be about 150 grams. This diet generally includes 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbohydrate.
- Cyclical Ketogenic Diet (CKD): This diet plan suggests you follow the diet pattern of 75% fat, 20% protein, and 5% carbohydrate for five consecutive days. But, you can include carbohydrate-rich foods on the other two remaining days of the week (fat 25%, protein 25%, carbs 50%). However, even on your non-keto days, experts advise you to eat wholesome carbohydrate-rich foods: whole grains, fruits, starchy vegetables, and dairy products.
- Targeted Ketogenic Diet (TKD): Athletes and sportspersons usually consider implementing this diet plan. While following this diet, you can have extra carbs just before and after your active sports or work out sessions. In this way, the body immediately burns the carb; hence fat storage is not possible. The ratio of fat, protein, and carbohydrate intake differs between (65-70)%, 20%, and (10-15)%, respectively.
- High Protein Ketogenic Diet (HPKD): This category of keto diet allows you to eat more protein and lesser fat than the SKD while still restricting you to eat lower than 10% of carbohydrates. You can include around 60% (130 grams) of fat, 35% (120 grams) protein, and 5% (not more than 50 grams) carbohydrates per day in your diet.
NOTE: Generally, athletes and bodybuilders follow CKD and TKD. For general people who require to lose weight, SKD and HPKD are still better options.
Meal Plan for Keto: Benefits of the keto diet
First of all, the Keto Diet is a tried and tested method of weight loss. It is especially beneficial for those who are hesitant to do heavy workouts as well as strict fasting.
A Keto diet plan helps you get the desired shape in a certain period while you are still able to eat a lot of delicious foods. Just limiting the carbs to the minimal is the secret.
Our body relies on glucose as a source of energy. It starts burning the available fats once you choose to reduce your carbs intake. Hence, frustrating fats dont get space for storage.
And you welcome a fatless body. Isnt it WOW?
Aside from this, it is beneficial against diseases such as diabetes, cancer, epilepsy, Alzheimers disease, heart diseases, etc.
Similarly, it also helps to reduce blood sugar and insulin level.
Meal Plan for Keto:Eatables during a keto diet
Knowing that a keto diet is an excellent solution for weight loss is not enough. It is just the start, and you should know all the things that you can do and all those that you cannot before starting this diet plan.
For all the traditional food lovers, the keto diet might seem a little bit difficult at the start. But, as you go on with determination, it will be fun and easy for sure.
As you know by now, the main idea of a keto diet is to minimize carbohydrates and increase the number of fats in the food menu. So, simply cut off as much carb as you can from your diet. For the carbs, you eat, make sure they are healthy carbs.
Despite all these, know that the amount of carb intake differs for each individual.
Your weight and body type are responsible for determining the amount. The carb intake usually varies from 20 grams to 50 grams.
It is notable that the lower the carbs, the easier and quicker the process.
You can eat fruits, eggs, meat, fish, and a lot of other varieties. The following are some of the foods you can happily eat for your ketogenic diet according to your convenience:
Meal Plan for Keto:For the Non-Vegetarian
- Eggs: If you want to follow a keto diet, and you love eating eggs, you should keep in mind that eating any kind of eggs you find in the market is not a good idea. Instead, you can change your preferences to pastured eggs or organic whole eggs.
- Poultry: Chicken and turkey is a better choice if you love to include poultry meat in your food. These are great for the taste buds and also rich in nutrients. Along with the essential minerals for the body, turkey and chicken are highly rich in protein. Nutritionists advise eating chicken and turkey breast for higher protein.
- Fatty Fish: Fish items like salmon, herring, mackerel are rich in essential fats which are harmless to the body. These items provide necessary Omega-3s for our bodies.
- Meat: Ketogenic diet should include grass-fed beef, venison, pork, organ meats, or bison if youre a meat-eater.
Meal Plan for Keto: Vegetarian Keto-food
- Full Fat Dairy: While in other diets, nutritionists advise you to cut the fats from your food. But, in the case of a ketogenic diet, you are free to eat full-fat items like full-fat dairies. Yogurt, butter, and cream are rich in full fat.
- Full fat cheese: Cheese and dairy lovers, no need to cut off the fat in a ketogenic diet. So, you can have as much cheese as you like, and it does not have to be fatless. Cheddar, mozzarella, brie, goat cheese, and cream cheese fall under this category.
While the above foods favor non-vegetarians and dairy eating vegetarians, vegans might think that this is a little harder for them to follow.
But, no worries, dear vegans, you can get similar kinds of nutrients without eating more carbs and meats or dairies. There are, in fact, several vegetables, nuts and seeds, and other healthy fats that can provide fats and proteins for the body.
Meal Plan for Keto:Vegans can try plant-based food.
Some of the lists of the vegan food for the ketogenic diets are:
- Nuts and Seeds: Macadamia nuts, almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, and flax seeds are some tasty seeds and nuts that are good in a keto diet.
- Nut Butter: You dont eat dairies? Well, thats not a problem anymore. These days, you can get as much taste and as much protein and fats from butter made of nuts. So, you dont need to worry about all the dairies that you dont eat at all.
Natural peanuts, almonds, and cashew butter can replace the regular dairy butter.
- Healthy fats: Being in a keto diet means that the time has come to replace your regular unhealthy oils in the kitchen. You can change your preference to coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil, coconut butter, and sesame oil. This way, your food does not lose its taste, and you eat healthy as well.
- Avocados: Fruit species like avocado are always a great choice if youre planning to eat healthily. Nutritionists say that you need to include avocados at least in a meal while you are on a ketogenic diet.
- Non-starchy vegetables: It might be bad news for potato lovers. If you are on a ketogenic diet, starchy vegetables like potatoes are a big no. Instead, you can have green vegetables, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, and peppers.
- Condiments: To enhance the taste for your food, salt, pepper, vinegar, lemon juice, fresh herbs, and spices are the appropriate choices. You will have to avoid altogether eating packaged spices that are not fresh. You should be away from chilly powders and other unhealthy seasonings.
These are the foods and fruits that you need to have in a keto diet. So many of you might have no idea how and where to start. But this is not a big problem as well.
We are always here to help. Moreover, there are quite great tutorials on youtube that can take you to a different world of keto foods.
Meal Plan for Keto: Foods to skip
- Bread and Bakery Delights
- Sweets, chocolates, and sugary foods
- Beverages (especially sugary drinks)
- Pasta and noodles
- Grains and grain products
- Starchy vegetables like potatoes, sweet potatoes
- Beans and Legumes
- Fruits that may raise insulin/sugar level (sugary fruits)
- High Carb Sauces
- Fruit-flavored yogurt
Does the list include any of your favorite food? Sorry if it doesnt. You require to make some sacrifices if your goal is to be successful at keto-dieting.
General Keto Meal Plan For a Week
The idea for a week straight, starting from Monday to Sunday, can be of great help. If youre a beginner, you can take a leap of faith and see what it does for you.
Also, if you have already started keto-dieting, this plan might help you to bring change. And, for all the pros, I welcome your suggestions too.
Lets go, have a look at my 7-day Keto Meal Plan.
Start your week with an excellent keto meal, and see what difference it makes to your body. Remember, consistency and discipline are a must.
- Breakfast: Omelette (include mushrooms), Broccoli, and Peppers (Omit omelet if you are a vegetarian or vegan). It sounds yummy, doesnt it?
- Lunch: Avocado with chopped onions and spices (include boiled egg if you like). Add Some lettuce for the taste.
- Dinner: Spicy Chicken breast with cauliflower rice. Brussel sprouts if available
- Snack: Cheese and bell peppers slices.
- Breakfast: Smoothie with almond milk, nut butter, spinach, chia seeds, and protein powder
- Lunch: Shrimp and avocado salad with tomatoes, feta cheese, herbs, lemon juice, and olive oil (remember not more than one teaspoon oil)
- Dinner: Garlic butter steak, add mushroom and asparagus for great taste
- Snack: A boiled egg, Flaxseed crackers with cheese
- Breakfast: Fried Eggs with Bacon. Green veggies as side dishes
- Lunch: Tuna salad with tomatoes and avocado plus macadamia nuts
- Dinner: Baked tofu with cauliflower rice, broccoli, and peppers (all baked), with a homemade peanut sauce
- Snack: Celery sticks with almond butter (dip it and eat it)
- Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with butter and some green lettuces. Add some chopped avocados for the toppings.
- Lunch: Spinach Salad and grilled salmon
- Dinner: Pork Chop with mashed cauliflower along with red cabbage slaw
- Snack: A handful of sunflower seeds
- Breakfast: Egg muffins with cheddar cheese, spinach, and tomatoes (sun-dried)
- Lunch: Cauliflower soup with spices containing bacon and tofu cubes
- Dinner: Try Buttered Shrimp with zucchini noodles. Dont forget to add garlic and herb.
- Snack: Roast Turkey, cucumbers and cheese roll-ups
- Breakfast: Yoghurt with keto-friendly granula
- Lunch: Grass-fed beef burger without the bun (can add lettuce), add guacamole, tomato and kale salad for great taste
- Dinner: Stir-fried chicken, broccoli, mushrooms, and peppers, with homemade satay sauce
- Snack: An egg and vegetable muffin
- Breakfast: Two fried eggs (fried in butter), avocados and blackberries
- Lunch: Chicken mayonnaise salad with cucumber, avocado, tomato, almonds, and onion
- Dinner: Beef stew made with mushrooms, onions, celery, herbs, and beef broth
- Snack: Olives
The above food choices are just for the first seven days. You should know that you dont have to follow the same plan.
I assume that looking at the meal plan will help you get insight into what and how you need to eat. Besides, you can experiment and try different recipes if you like.
The keto-friendly food is not at all boring. Taste and good health through a keto diet is a guarantee. However, keto-diet might seem a little difficult for vegetarians and vegans.
As you know, vegans and vegetarians largely depend upon plants for the nutrients. Thus, their usual food is rich in carbs and protein.
Keto-diet, on the other hand, says no to many carbs. Therefore, vegans and vegetarians should pay more attention to their choice of vegetables during a keto diet.
As a source of fat, they can consume high-fat, plant-based food. Avocados, walnuts, nuts, sunflower seeds, olives, etc. are some food for the vegans and vegetarians.
Stick to your keto-diet plan for the effective result
Now that you know keto diet is tricky but not impossible, you should start it right away. Not just for weight loss but for a healthier lifestyle, nutrients suggest keto-diet.
But, you cant expect to get the result in just a week. You will have to make sure you stick to your new favorite diet plan if you expect a good result.
As for everything else, you cant forget consistency and discipline.
For fun, lets keep a dare. Why dont you come after a few weeks and share your experience as a keto-dieter? It sounds healthy and fun for me.
I wish you luck. Cut your carbs to tone your abs.